Thursday, July 9, 2015

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

My son is reading John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men in English class, so, being that I am in a classic's challenge, I figured I'd give it a go.  I know the plot, presumable because I read it in high school myself, but I don't actually remember reading it.

I can probably go ahead and take care of the Ws:

WHEN I Discovered This Classic:  high-school, most definitely

WHAT Makes It A Classic:  Steinbeck's pros is wonderful and he tackles big themes of loneliness, work, poverty and tragedy.

WHY I Chose to Read It:  I love reading books with my kids

WILL It Stay A Classic:  Yes

WHO I’d Recommend It To:  No one.  Steinbeck is completely depressing.  His whole purpose seems to be to let us know that, if you poor, life sucks, and, then, you die.  The poor have no control and all choices lead to one depressing outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment