Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis REVIEW

The Screwtape LettersThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Lewis was nothing if not clever. He demonstrated that again in this classic Christian apologetic.

The Screwtape Letters is a commentary on how we allow sin to creep into our life and the spiritual warfare that is really at work in the process. Lewis engaged a dry wit an an unusual composition to keep the reader interested. This book could easily be read straight through like a novel, but I approached it more like a study, reading it piecemeal. I was most struck by how timeless it is. Even though this book was written over fifty years ago, it is still amazingly accurate concerning the temptations of modern life. I would recommend this book to any Christian looking for a primer or even an advanced study on sin and temptation.

The Ws

WHEN I Discovered This Classic
About 15 years ago.

WHAT Makes It A Classic
C.S. Lewis is a legend as a Christian apologetic.  That doesn’t make every book he wrote a classic, but I have seen this one listed several times on different Christian classics lists, and I have seen this book referenced numerous times in other Christian literature.

WHY I Chose to Read It
I was interested in the premise.  Lewis is at his best when he is being creative.

WILL It Stay A Classic
Most certainly this will stay a classic.  The commentary is extremely relevant to modern society.

WHO I’d Recommend It To
Christians

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment