Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky REVIEW & the Ws

Crime and PunishmentCrime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have read some amazing classics, this year, so I had no reason to think that Crime and Punishment wouldn’t be another winner. Unfortunately, I didn’t anticipate what a drag it would be. Hours and hours of my life dedicated to exploring the mind of an insane person. If only Dostoyevsky could have done it in 250 pages, it might have been tolerable. Sometimes it was oddly compelling, but, mostly, I just wanted the punishment to end. (view spoiler)

Sometimes if I don’t like a book, it is really that I just don’t understand the book. For a while, I read a chapter analysis after each chapter. I hoped that thoroughly understanding the book would help me appreciate it more. I gave that up by part three (about ½ through). The chapter analyses weren’t adding much to comprehension of the book, and it was prolonging the experience.

I’m giving Crime and Punishment two stars instead of one, because Dostoyevsky, in some respects, is an excellent writer. I, truly, felt that I was inside the mind of a mad man.

View all my reviews

The Ws

WHEN I Discovered This Classic
I must have been in high school.  I don’t quite remember.

WHY I Chose to Read It
It was chosen as a group read for a group that I am in on Goodreads.

WHAT Makes It A Classic
Crime and Punishment examines universal themes:  primarily societal alienation and the psychology of the criminal mind.  Crazy is crazy whether it’s the 19th century of 2015.  Anyone interested in crazy will, probably, like this book.

WHAT I Thought of This Classic
I think that books like this are the reasons people hesitate to read classics.  In my opinion, it was long and boring.  I didn’t like the characters, so I didn’t care much what happened to them.

WILL It Stay A Classic
Since it was written in the early 19th century and it is still going strong, I think that there is a good bet that it will continue its domination of any list of Russian classics.

WHO I’d Recommend It To

A psychology student

No comments:

Post a Comment