Sunday, April 5, 2015

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe REVIEW

Things Fall ApartThings Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My feelings about this book are mixed. On one hand, I found it interesting and challenging. I utilized many resources, while reading this book, to help me better understand the background information and literary allegories. One valuable resource was a study guide prepared by Heather DuBois Bourenane from the University Wisconsin‐Madison. I became engrossed in the plot, and I appreciated the literary devices used to examine various themes. On an academic level, I was very impressed with the book.

On the other hand, if I consider Things Fall Apart outside of any historical significance, political importance or literary appreciation, I was underwhelmed. The main character was, too, vilified in the first chapters. I didn’t care much what happened to him, nor did I feel empathy for any of the other characters. I didn’t feel anything while reading the book. Reading a novel shouldn’t be an academic pursuit but one of the heart.

That leaves me in a quandary as to what rating to give Things Fall Apart. I have settled on 4 stars. Although I didn't find the novel emotionally riveting, Achebe seamlessly incorporated African storytelling with a western style of writing, and he tackled difficult themes in a way that was stimulating and thought provoking.

Most of the answers to the Ws are found in my previous post about this book.

Things Fall Apart – 1987 Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation mini‐series.

No comments:

Post a Comment